Encourage children in Colombia
In many ways, Daniela (13) and Sebastián (6) from Colombia are like many children. They both have their favourite hobbies – Daniela loves drawing, whilst Sebastián enjoys playing football – and they have fond memories of spending Christmas with family and friends.
But in other ways, their story is tragically different. In August 2019, Daniela and Sebastián’s father was shot dead in his own home. He was a pastor in a dangerous part of the country, and he paid the ultimate price for speaking out against organised crime and helping prevent young people from being recruited.
Sadly, there are many more children like Daniela and Sebastián who live in rural areas and suffer – be it because of the actions of illegal armed groups, or traditional leaders who do not accept Christians in indigenous communities.
These children struggle to find hope and need encouragement. You can provide this by sending them a picture, postcard or short message.
For this campaign, we’d love to receive letters for two groups:
- Daniela and Sebastián
- Christian children living in the following regions: Nariño, Tumaco, Arauca, Chocó, Catatumbo, Buenaventura, Córdoba, and Cauca (for these, introduce the letter by saying, Dear child from <insert location>)
Since this is an online as well as a postal campaign, you can send your drawings, cards and letters to us digitally at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greeting cards, children’s artwork and postcards are best
- If possible, write in Spanish (see here for a list of phrases to use) or simple English, and keep your letter brief
- Print clearly
- Be encouraging and include one or two Bible verses (Spanish translations available at Bible Gateway). For security reasons, please do not use verses that refer to Israel, armies or war
- Show sensitivity; please do not dwell on the recipient’s plight, or share about the blessings of life in your country
- Do not mention Open Doors in your letters
- If writing a postcard, please send it in an envelope and do not write the Open Doors’ address on the postcard
- You may provide your name, but do not provide your full name or address
- Do not criticise a country’s religion or religious extremists, its government, judicial system, or political leaders
- Do not send money or make proposals to help.
Send to us!
You can send your drawings, cards or letters to the below address, or digitally to email@example.com
PO Box 6
And we’ll do the rest!
Please note this campaign ends 15 December 2021